History of St. Brigids
The story of our present St. Brigid’s School began in 1863 when the Sacred Heart sisters purchased Sir John Rogerson’s large country residence in Glasnevin, known then as Glasnevin House. Using this building, the Sacred Heart sisters opened the first Catholic ‘poor school’.
In 1865 Margaret Aylward, foundress of the Holy Faith Sisters, acquired Glasnevin House from the Sacred Heart Sisters and took over the school. Margaret Aylward, along with 15 other Holy Faith sisters, extended the school and added a fine new school building, now known as Aylward House. She renamed the school St. Brigid’s, just like all of the other Holy Faith primary schools that she went on to open. This school served as St. Brigid’s primary school in Glasnevin for the next 100 years.
Margaret’s founding vision for the school was that it would be inclusive of all social classes. It was to be a top quality school, a school of faith in the most holistic way, giving the children a sense of hope and purpose in life.
Over the years St. Brigid’s school grew and expanded until the late 1960’s and early 1970’s when growing numbers called for yet another new building. This new school project was undertaken again by the Holy Faith sisters. Finally on Feb. 3rd 1976 the current St. Brigid’s school building was blessed and officially opened by Bishop Kavanagh. The story of our remarkable school continues into this new Millennium.