It was a beautiful Autumn day and we were glad to be out in the sunshine looking at all the pretty colours. We learned so much!
- Did you know that there is a tree in the Botanic Gardens that smells like sugar (or even candy floss)?
- We also felt the trunk of a tree that was made of cork!
- We were given special permission to enter the Viking house and learned how it was made entirely of plants and trees.
- We saw the oldest tree in the gardens- a yew tree and the tallest tree- a 'baby' Sequoia- it was 180 years old- some Sequoia trees live to be 3000 years old!
- We learned about the 'rag tree.' It is a hawthorn tree that people attach mementos to for good luck or to pray for someone.
- We visited the vegetable patch and its scarecrow to hear all about the yummy organic vegetables.
- We found some lily pads in the pond.
- We enjoyed all the beautiful scents of the rose garden.
- We finished our tour in the palm houses looking at all the tropical plants!